Matthew J. Lakemacher

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing on behalf of Daniel Lakemacher, to provide evidence in support of his filing for conscientious objector status from the United States Navy. I am Daniel’s older brother (one of two) and have known him for all of his life. I lived with him for his first 18 years and have remained a close friend of his since we moved out of our parents’ home some years ago. At one time, Daniel and I were both active in the same church and youth group and had a chance to work together in that context for several years as well.

Based upon these experiences and how well I know Daniel, I can unequivocally say that his views on the immorality of war are honest, sincere, and deeply held. I believe that Daniel genuinely holds to his anti-war beliefs and thus feels that his position in the military is a violation of his conscience. I can also attest to the fact that Daniel’s views on the morality of warfare in general and on the United States military’s use of force in particular have changed 180 degrees since he first enlisted in the Navy. Daniel believed at one time that warfare could be justified in certain cases and that the United States Government was right to use violence to force its will on both foreign and domestic policy. Clearly he no longer holds to these tenants and his personal beliefs have changed since he signed his contract with the United States Navy. I have seen evidence of these changes in several conversations I have had with Daniel and by reading his writings of the past several months.

It is for these reasons that I believe the classification of Daniel as a conscientious objector is justified and that the weight of evidence supports the sincerity of his application.

Sincerely,

Matthew J. Lakemacher

No comments:

Post a Comment