Jim Otten

To whom it may concern,

I am writing on behalf of my son-in-law, Daniel J. Lakemacher, requesting that you grant his request for separation from the United States Navy as a Conscientious Objector.

I have known Dan since he began dating my daughter about 10 years ago. He has always been a well-read, articulate and thoughtful man. He takes responsibility seriously. Dan did not take his decision to enter the Navy lightly in 2005. Neither has he taken lightly the decision to file for Conscientious Objector status.

So what has changed? I believe Dan’s heart has changed about the morality of his role in the Navy, in response to events that have unfolded since his induction in the Navy 4 years ago.

Although I disagree with the general statement that “all war is immoral” (I believe that America was right to go to war in World War II and in the first Gulf War in 1991), the behavior of our prior and current commanders-in-chief give pause as to what we are “fighting for”… and why.

Our prior commander-in-chief stated that the current war in Iraq was necessary because the enemy possessed “weapons of mass destruction”. No such weapons were ever found and frequent news reports suggest that it may have been known to the commander before the war commenced that such weapons did not exist. Our current commander-in-chief made the cessation of military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan in the first 16 months of his Presidency one of the cornerstones of his presidential campaign. Yet 5 months into his Presidency, it is becoming increasingly apparent that our current commander-in-chief does not have… and likely never had… a workable plan to fulfill that campaign promise. Hence, there appears to be a significant morality and integrity gap surrounding each of our last two commanders-in-chief.

There also is the issue of “waterboarding”. One of our greatest Navy heroes, Senator John McCain of Arizona, has described the process as torture. Our military has admitted using this process against “detainees”.

As I consider the events of the last few paragraphs, it is easy for me to understand how a seaman… any seaman… could question the integrity and morality of the military organization of which they are a part. On top of these issues, Dan spent 7 months at Guantanamo, actually interacting with the detainees. Although we have discussed Guantanamo, I don’t think anyone who has not been there can fully understand the perspective and experience of one who has served there.

As I reflect upon the prior paragraphs, it is easy for me to understand how my son-in-law’s feelings about being a part of the Navy have changed during the past 4 years. I believe his moral convictions are honest and sincere, have been thoroughly contemplated, and have changed significantly since his induction. I request that you grant Daniel J. Lakemacher’s request for separation from the United States Navy as a Conscientious Objector.

Please contact me at ________ if you have further questions.

With respect toward all,

Jim Otten

No comments:

Post a Comment