David Shiner

To Whom It May Concern:

My name is David Shiner. I am writing in support of Daniel Lakemacher’s request for conscientious objector (CO) status.

I met Dan shortly after his wife Heather enrolled at Shimer College, where I have taught for the past 33 years and currently serve as Dean of the College. Dan and I saw each other only intermittently during Heather’s years at Shimer. I have come to know him somewhat better since he was redeployed to the local area.

To the extent that I can claim to know Dan, I have found his character to be of a very high order. He is sincere in his principles, and he lives a principled life. This was as true of his earlier incarnation as an evangelical Christian as of his new life as a secular libertarian. He is not the sort of person who believes or acts in a halfhearted manner. Had he not recently discovered an alternative philosophy that included commitment to non-violence, he would not have been transformed in the ways in which he has been; merely having had doubts about aspects of his military experience would not have sufficed for him to change his views so fundamentally or to apply for CO status.

Dan’s principles are rooted in dedication to the strictures of conscience properly understood. That is evident in the passage in his application for CO status in which he states, “I would be lying if I did not acknowledge a fear of being characterized as unpatriotic, un-American, or worst of all, a coward. Despite this, I believe the far graver mistake would be to violate my conscience. In summary, the strength of my moral convictions has finally reached the point of outweighing any possible social consequences among family, friends, and coworkers.” That passage is typical of the way Dan thinks, and of the way he lives his life. Devout Christians are well aware that following in Christ’s footsteps may well result in negative social consequences. Although Dan no longer views himself as a Christian, his dedication to living out and accepting the consequences of his convictions remains as strong as ever. I do not espouse the same principles as Dan, but I am fully persuaded as to the sincerity and depth of his beliefs.

I hope that you will see fit to grant Daniel Lakemacher’s request for CO status. If you would like to contact me, feel free to do so at the email address or phone number below.


Sincerely,


David Shiner, PhD
Dean of the College
Shimer College

No comments:

Post a Comment