Jay D. Marsh

April 28, 2009

To Whom it May Concern:

Daniel J. Lakemacher requested that I write a letter outlining my relationship with him and my view on his past and current belief systems. His instructions to me were to honestly tell it the way I see him.

I first met Daniel Lakemacher as a youth sometime in 1999. My daughter Maggie and Dan’s future wife Heather went on a mission trip to Hungary together in June of 2000. I was aware of him during the next several years but did not get to know him until I began teaching college age students on Sunday mornings at the Evangelical Free Church of Crystal Lake, IL. Dan was a regular attendee of my class.

I loved challenging the young adults to think about what they believed and WHY they believed it. The topics discussed were usually controversial to stimulate serious thought and dialogue. Dan was always an active participant and extremely knowledgeable about the Bible. One of the topics, prompted by the first war in Iraq was the theory of “Just War”. I clearly remember Dan agreeing with the premise that God had divined that some wars were Just and there were many examples of it in the Bible.

During this time period there was no doubt that Dan was a believer in Christian Doctrine. He overtly expressed his faith in the God of the Bible and in Jesus Christ as his savior. He was an exemplary young man who was considered an excellent youth leader. He also attended Moody Bible Institute to deepen his faith and knowledge of Christianity while pursuing a college degree.

My son Noah’s wife Sarah and Dan’s wife Heather are sisters. Partly because of this family connection I have had the pleasure of meeting with Dan, one on one, for many years. Prior to his enlistment he and I would take long walks on a bike path near my house in Crystal Lake to discus (sic) life, the world, faith, politics and what does Dan do with his life. He is extremely engaging and always truthfully transparent with his thoughts.

I have been fascinated with the search he has been on to understand the meaning of life. I believe he has been transformed by several events in his early adult life. My hope is that his current position on God and faith and Libertarianism will be short lived. While I believe he knows there is a God, he is having difficulty submitting to Him. One event which crushed his spiritual side was church related. He has not separated the human element from the spiritual with respect to that event. The other event has been more of a process which is an in depth study he has undertaken into libertarianism. Since I once was on the Illinois State Ballot as a Libertarian for the office of Treasurer, I think I know how he got to where he is at believing the importance of the individual over the government control of all things in life.

This I know about Dan, he is truthful, intelligent and industrious. If he cannot fully support someone of some ideal you will certainly know it. I know he currently believes that we are living in a cosmic accident with no creator god. I have difficulty getting my arms around his feelings in lieu of logic in this regard. He also believes quite strongly that there is never any justification for war. This is another conclusion he has reached with the center of the universe being the individual. Humans are not to harm other humans. I cannot understand why the defense against an aggressor nation cannot be justified.

Whatever the consequences are to his current application I know he is prepared to accept them. I am looking forward to continue to meet with him, challenge him, and listen to his changing worldview. We obviously do not agree on some very important life issues but I know he is seriously thinking about them.

If you have any questions for me about Dan or any comments I made in this letter I would be glad to expand on this brief description.

Most Sincerely,

(signed)

Jay D. Marsh

*This letter was signed and notarized on April 28, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment